We got up early. Dressed in church clothes, and drove an hour and a half to Sandy. As we entered the building you could feel a peace that was there. After setting down our things we stood in line. Ten minutes later I hugged her mom, she said, "Thank you for coming." I hugged Lauren next. Tight, and as long as I could. Tears began to show. Next was Maegan. I gave her a big hug. She whispered in my ear and said, "Thanks for coming all this way, it means so much to Lauren." That's when the first tears started coming.
In the chapel we sat down. Only to stand as the family and pallbearers walked in. The music played softly. We all sat as the last person did. The songs played and words spoken were comforting, soothing. Each with their own personal message, their own sacred prayer.
We left to find something to do until we could go back and see Lauren. We walked around the mall, ate lunch. The whole time wishing I could give her another hug. Thinking of her family, praying for them with all my might.
About an hour later we drove up to her house. Bringing with us a bag of her things, a blanket and some treats. She loved them, but was just glad to see us. We ate more food that was left over. Then we just talked like good friends. Because that's what we are, good friends.
Leaving was hard. Hugs, and "I love you"'s. Promises of seeing you soon. Thinking while we drove home, it was beautiful. The entire day was peaceful, humbling, comforting. Absolutely beautiful.
2 comments:
Thank you. THIS is beautiful.
This was a special day.
Post a Comment